Summer Plumbing Tips
The heat is on! Summer’s rising temperatures often coincide with an increase of water usage, both indoors and outdoors. It’s estimated that a family’s water usage can increase by 25%-50% during the warmest months of the year. We are always looking for ways to save some money, so these helpful tips will give your plumbing and water bill a little break:
- If you’re vacationing away from your home for several days, turn down your water heater to save energy. It’s also important to know that the average life of a water heater is anywhere from 8-11 years old. If you don’t know the age of your system, check the last four digits of the serial number on the tank. This will show you the month and year it was manufactured.
- While you’re entertaining family and friends with cookouts and get-togethers, make sure these foods don’t end up down your drain.
- Does it seem like summer laundry never ends? Make sure you give your washing machine a break and visually inspect the hoses and machine. The lifetime of a rubber washing machine hose should be replaced approximately every 3 years.
- Consider replacing some of your older appliances such as your showerheads, faucets, and toilets with EPA WaterSense produts. Click here to see how much you can save annually on your water bill!
- Water your lawn at the right time! It’s suggested that the best time to water lawns and landscapes is in the early morning and evening, after the sun goes down. If you decide to tend to your lawn in the middle of the day, that water can be lost due to evaporation from the heat throughout the day.
- Do you have trees planted in your front lawn? Any kind of tree growth can cause roots to make their way to your sewer line in search of water. If you suspect any damage (ie: sewage backups in your lowest level), give us a call to check your lines.
Every season brings a different challenge to your plumbing system in your home—whether its winter’s freezing temperatures or summer’s hot humidity. Whatever your plumbing issue might be, Immediate Response Plumbing the Plumber will always be available the same day to assist!