When it comes to drain cleaning in your home, often times, we do everything we can to avoid calling a plumber so we can save a few bucks. However, more often than not, these DIY drain cleaning techniques will cause more harm than good. Here are 5 Mistakes to Avoid with Drain Cleaning:
- The Garden Hose – Some people think the added water pressure of a hose will flush out the pipes and unclog drains. Usually, all this does is create a giant hassle for you and risk damaging your pipes. Leave the garden hose where it belongs– in the garden.
- Drain Augers – These tools can be very useful in the hands of someone who knows what they’re doing. In the hands of an amateur, however, a drain auger can quickly damage your pipes. It is also ineffective for larger piping.
- Chemical Drain Cleaners – Besides the obvious safety hazards, many chemical drain cleaners simply don’t work, and they often cause more of a mess than they clean up. Chemical drain cleaners just aren’t capable of removing solid obstructions.
- Coat Hangers – This shouldn’t need to be mentioned, but just in case, please do not unbend a coat hanger or a similar object and slide it down the drain to clean or unclog it. Not only is this extremely ineffective and frustrating, but you are also taking the risk of getting the coat hanger stuck in the pipe and causing even more damage.
- Fixing it Yourself – Unless you are a plumber or have experience plumbing, it is highly advised that you do not disassemble the piping to find the obstruction yourself. Again, you are more likely to damage your pipes than to actually fix the problem.
It is important to have your pipes cleaned and inspected regularly– at least once a year. Rather than stressing yourself out trying to clean your own drains, it is wise to find a reliable plumber or plumbing service that will be able to perform drain cleaning properly and efficiently without causing any damage.
For drain cleaning in San Antonio TX. Contact us at Immediate Response Plumbing. We have over 15 years’ experience in the industry, and would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Give us a call today! 210-599-3500